Sunday, May 24, 2009

rankin run 2009

This past Friday night was Katie's first Incredibly Strange Movie Night which was held in our backyard. She showed Test Tube Babies along with other footage like an ABC promo reel.

I can't really talk too much about it because I spent the entire time the movie was showing in the kitchen baking desserts for the bbq after the Rankin Run. I made Brown Butter Toffee Blondies and Caramel Nut Bars. I baked these super sweets because people don't mind indulging after a long walk and the party was to have kids there, and we know kids love their sweets!

I'm so happy Nuno and I got to participate in the Rankin Run this year. It is a fundraiser where all donations are toward cancer research and treatment right here in Niagara. The company I work for had a team together for the run where we collected individual donations and corporate donations. The ironic thing about our company walking this walk is that two of the four participants from my office have recently started smoking since we decided to participate. ARG! I don't know, maybe they think there's already a cure for cancer?

It was the most beautiful day for the walk, the weather was perfect. Of course Tot came with us on the walk. We made her a special bandanna for the event. She didn't last very long though. Doesn't Nuno look impressed having to walk and carry a 22 pound pug? She seems to be enjoying the lift.

Since our home is close to the turn around point in the walk, we dropped her off at home for a rest while we finished the walk.

There was a wonderful refreshing breeze coming up the canal and the sun was bright. Maybe a little more bright than we realized since I'm now suffering from a burnt nose. Aaah! Skin cancer risk!!
Our after party was awesome because my boss lives super close to the start of the walk. His house is amazing and has the perfect backyard BBQ party set-up. It was a total blast and we think we'll probably do this walk with the company every year. But next year it will be Nuno, Tot & I along with our baby in a stroller. I can't wait!

No comments: