Thursday, January 14, 2010

healthy food choices

I wanted to link to a couple different pieces of information regarding food safety and sustainability. I think these are important for everyone I know to use these links as guidance for eating healthy.

The Dirty Dozen and Clean Fifteen - this link details which produce absorb the most pesticides.
Full List of Produce - please use this list and avoid items at the top, especially if you are pregnant!
Sustainable Fish Guide - this link is a guide on which fish to purchase to maintain ocean sustainability.

I've made it my new years resolution to keep these things in mind when shopping. I know, eating local and organic is difficult. It requires special trips out of your way and to make food decisions based on the season. It can be more expensive as well. But believe it or not, if we have a cultural shift where more and more of our grocery shopping demands local and organic we can change the industry! Wouldn't that be cool if we had the power change things?