Wednesday, March 17, 2010

cheddar corn spoon bread

We froze the rest of the tex-mex turkey and bean chili from last week and had it for dinner last night. It froze great and it was, again, delicious. On the side I made Cheddar Corn Spoon Bread. Every time I say the name of it I get 'Spoonman' by Soundgarden in my head. Sort of annoying, but whatever. Anyways, it was delicious and for all future Tex-Mex meals I think I'll be making it on the side.


I can officially say this is runner up to Mexican Wedding Cakes for my favourite recipe. There is something unbelievably satisfying about the texture of this pudding. It gets me - you know the thrill of cracking the top of creme brulee? That's how nice it is to eat this spoonful by spoonful.

The one thing I never liked about cornbread is that it's too dense and heavy for me. This recipe solves that issue by creating lightness in whipped egg whites. The flavour is sweet and it's surprisingly creamy. I'd like to dive into leftovers right now, but since we had four people eating it last night there aren't any leftovers. Well, that's probably for the better anyways (waistline speaking).

No comments: