Monday, March 29, 2010

not from Everyday Food

I have a new food interest - edamame! Ever since I made the chicken & edamame noodle stirfry I've been wanting to find ways of including more edamame in my diet. I came across this recipe from Alton Brown and made some minor adjustments to it based on what I always have around the house. This is very easy to make given that most of the ingredients are pantry or freezer items. Right now I can't not have this in the fridge. I love this salad so much that I just have to share the recipe.

Roasted Edamame Salad
adapted from Alton Brown

2 cups frozen edamame (President's Choice sells great bags in the frozen produce)
1 cup frozen corn
1 finely diced shallot
1 clove of finely minced garlic
1 tbsp olive oil
salt & pepper to taste
1/2 pint quartered cherry/grape tomatoes, seeds & pulp removed
1/4 cup fresh herb such as basil or chives
1 tbsp red wine vinegar

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the edamame, corn, shallot, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper onto a 13 by 9 sheet pan and stir to combine. Place on the middle rack of the oven and roast for 10 to 15 minutes, just until the edamame begins to brown. Remove from the oven, cool to room temperature and place in the refrigerator until completely cool, approximately 30 minutes.

Add the tomato, basil and vinegar to the edamame mixture and toss to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning, as desired. Serve chilled or at room temperature.

No comments: