Sunday, April 18, 2010

food is my religion


I found a copy of The Cake Bible discounted at the Book Depot a couple weeks ago. I've been wanting a copy of this book for years now and the timing was perfect because I had already decided I was going to bake the only recipe I had from the book, the Cordon Rose Banana Cake. I became aware of this book through my brother-in-law who was really into baking wedding cakes several years ago. I happened to be visiting the weekend he baked his tester of the Cordon Rose Banana Cake and all I can remember is that it was the most delicious cake I'd ever eaten!

This weekend was my first attempt baking a cake from the book. There was nothing more satisfying than seeing this cake come together. The author of The Cake Bible, Rose Levy Beranbaum, seems like a baking chemist and gives explicit detail to the importance of things like temperature, sifting and timing to make the cakes turn out bakery quality. I love how detail oriented she is and it's because of all the explanation that this cake came out with the most wonderful texture imaginable! I wish this cake was more of a looker, but to taste, this cake is out of this world!!!

It is so moist, rich and velvety in texture. Now that I know I'm capable of baking something this fantastic, I'm looking forward to finding an occasion where I can bake several layers, fill them with a pastry cream and frost with chocolate icing.

No comments: