Monday, June 21, 2010

father's day and banana-oat smoothies

I knew we had to make Father's Day very special for Nuno since we were celebrating his first one ever! He awoke to a surprise of Owen in his I Heart Dad sleeper. Among his many gifts, Nuno is pictured here in his Goonies shirt and wearing his new belt and new wallet.

Since the plan was to go to the Lake Effect Diner for brunch, I made a light breakfast of a Banana-Oat Smoothies. This is so delicious, I think I'll make this many more times in the future. Again, this is a recipe that Owen could enjoy as well. I just prepped the smoothie without the honey (which babies are not to eat), took out his portion first and then added the honey for Nuno and my servings. This is very sweet and Owen didn't really seem to enjoy it. I decided to add his baby oatmeal to his smoothie to make it a little thicker and more palatable.

Then it as off to B-lo for some Lake Effect Diner delicous-ness. We saw a Diner's, Drive-In's & Dives episode at this location and were so impressed by the effort that goes into some of the food we just had to give it a shot. This is a true diner - it is a small cart from Pennsylvania transplanted onto Main Street Buffalo serving all-day breakfast, sandwiches and all the usual diner-style suspects.

I had a reuben sandwich while Nuno went for a breakfast which included eggs, corned beef, red-eye gravy, homemade sausage patties.

Although it was Father's Day, Nuno ended up having to do a bit of storyboard work at the end of the day. But the majority of the day was exactly how he wanted to spend it. We finished the day with a beautiful walk up the canal with Owen. I said it before and I'll say it again, Nuno is a loving dad and husband. We are so lucky to have him in our lives.

No comments: