Friday, July 2, 2010

curiosity got the cat

We're going on almost 2 months without a working oven. I finally called for a service on it and it looks like it's toast and we need a full replacement. All this time without baking steered me into the direction of no-bake desserts such as tirimisu, ice cream, chocolate covered bananas and Magnolia banana pudding. I ventured into Kraft Canada's site and became all too enticed by their layered dessert concoctions. I broke down and decided to do what all other gals before me have done and make a dead-simple assembled dessert. I figured if I'd do it up, I'd have to do it right! That meant buying all my ingredients at Wal-Mart. I had no idea where to find Cool Whip and once I found it I didn't realize it's frozen! After I worked out the initial kinks of starting something new I decided on, of course, a banana dessert.

This is Easy Banana Pudding Parfaits. Minimal time, minimal effort and Maximum Flavour! Holy cow, I LOVE this dessert. It's like the Magnolia Banana Pudding, only way less effort, time, cost, fat & calories. The best part is you can make these in single-serving portions so you're not at all obligated to eat the entire recipe - which is how desserts around here go. I just love that my Riedel Ice Wine stemware got some use. Classy move!

Now for the utter and total disaster of a recipe. Strawberry Whipped Sensation is one of the highest rated on Kraft Canada's site. It appeared to be a great way to enjoy fresh strawberries. Well, I took this one as far as freezing the assembled dessert when I snuck in a taste. What the? This is WAY TOO SWEET!! Like kill my teeth type of sweetness. I guess an entire can of condensed milk will do that. And Oreo cookies, yuck, yuck, yuck! I decided to salvage what I could. I scraped off the god awful broken Oreos and then mixed more Cool Whip into the strawberry creme. Then made a layer dessert using graham cracker base, strawberry creme layer, Cool Whip topping with strawberry Canadian flag. It tasted and looked great for our Canada Day celebration.

No comments: