Wednesday, July 28, 2010

grilled vegetable quesadillas with corn relish

Last I mentioned about L'Amis, I felt I didn't do justice to the great-ness of this farm stand. I found myself back again yesterday. This time for corn for last night's dinner of Grilled Vegetable Quesadillas with Corn Relish.

I think it's a tourist trap of a farm stand because it's situated right at the Lakeshore exit at HWY 11.

This is Owen's first little red wagon ride. This may be the Hummer of little red wagons.

Across the street is Billy Bob's Bait Shop. Not only do they sell bait and tackle, they also operate a snack shack where you can enjoy, North Bay's favourite snack food - the Pogo! I think they shouldn't shame themselves by associating with those wretched frozen boxed dogs, but should call them Corn Dogs! So much more appetizing.

Now, tell me they don't acknowledge themselves as a tourist trap with fanciful benches and unique photo ops.

For dinner we had Grilled Vegetable Quesadillas with Corn Relish.

These quesadillas are filled with farm fresh vegetables along with monterey jack cheese. We had some roasted chicken breast leftover, so I included that as well. This is my second day of barbecuing solo; I even changed the propane tank on my own. *proud* Because these quesadillas are grilled on the BBQ, I found they were a little dry for my taste. So the usual Mexican accompaniments (salsa, sour cream & guacamole) do very well with these.

Kind of odd, but this is my first time boiling corn and then removing it from the cob. I had to ask my grandmother how she does it just so I didn't mess it up. The corn relish was my favourite part of this meal! I don't know if it's because the peaches and cream corn fresh from the cob is perfectly in season, but this was so absolutely delicious. I may have been a little too generous with the green onion, but other than that it was dead easy and perfect for the season! Owen's version was yellow squash puree with chicken thigh which he LOVED!

No comments: