Monday, August 9, 2010

flat rock cellars + el gastronomo vagabundo = perfect summer outing

Nuno and I had a chance to visit Flat Rock Cellars Winery this weekend.

This winery is located on the Niagara Escarpment in Jordan. It's actually in an area of Niagara I've never ventured to before and is located in a very rural setting. The main reason we trekked out was to visit El Gastronomo Vagabundo.

This cart is parked at the winery selling inventive tacos, salads and desserts using seasonal and fresh ingredients. I ordered 'Last Samurai' Taco which was tempura salmon, wasabi, cucumber & pickled ginger with a dessert of banana fritters, vanilla ice cream and coconut caramel.

Nuno had the prix fixe menu which was 'Gara Yakka' Taco which was a combination of yellow curry, chicken, eggplant and crispy garlic and 'Triad' taco of san choi bao and a Heirloom Tomato salad of watermelon, cucumber, beet chips with house vinaigrette. I sampled Flat Rock's Twisted wine (love!).

Everything was incredible! Oh my gosh, seriously, if you read this you must go. Actually, first let me know you are going so I can invite myself along. Nuno and I kept saying that we felt like we were on vacation. The setting actually felt a little California-like. Not that it was dry and barren like Sonoma & Napa, but there was a nice breeze blowing up the escarpment from the lake in the August heat. Also, the tortillas were so reminiscent of what we ate while on honeymoon in San Fransicso. I think I'd recommend this experience over and above all other wineries in Niagara if you've already visited Hildebrand and Inniskillin. This is a much more personal and easy going type of winery experience and perfect for summer dining al fresco.

No comments: