Monday, October 18, 2010

fig and almond crostata and vegetable lasagna

The two Everyday Food recipes from this weekend look a lot better as slices.

First off is a Fig and Almond Crostata. I made a short crust pastry from scratch for this one and found every step of making this free-form tart a pain. That is only because I really didn't expect much of this recipe, I just wanted to get it over with. 
Well, after it baked and tasted a slice, I was dazzled by how absolutely over-the-top this dessert is. I've added a new favourite dessert with this one and what's great is that you don't need to use figs. Since the filling is an almond paste (of sorts), you could always substitute cherries or chocolate - anything you like with almonds. Even sliced almonds could work.

I've never been able to pull off a really great lasagna. I always felt like making lasagna was just too much work. Well, after cooking through this book I've realized it can be quite simple and this Vegetable Lasagna proves it.

There aren't many ingredients to it, but the few the recipe requires deliver an amazing flavour. I give a lot of credit to the Fontina cheese. It works beautifully in this dinner. I made this lasagna for my dad's birthday meal and everyone agreed it's a great recipe. I'm pretty sure Owen loved it as well, he polished off a piece as large as mine!
This was a big birthday weekend for us with my dad and Hot Tot celebrating the same day.
It was the first time Owen saw lit candles on a birthday cake and he was in awe. Instead of learning to blow them out, he had the innate ability to scoop some whipped cream frosting off the side.
Hot Tot lived it up this weekend because it was not only her birthday weekend where she got a bunch of new toys, she also went to Pug-O-Ween. Her Halloween costume wasn't ready in time, so she didn't score any prizes like her first palace finish two years ago, but she had fun none the less.
Owen is just a little bummed that, for once, it's not all about him. Not to worry, we are currently working on four themed costumes which we'll reveal at the end of the month. They are shaping up really well!

1 comment:

alicia said...

omg the taxi driver costumes! is there anything you can't do?

aww katie - i miss her blogs. :(
your family is too adorable!