Thursday, January 27, 2011

slow cooker green chili and pork & cabbage slaw burritos

Nuno came home one night with a huge pork shoulder that he bought on sale. It took him quite a lot of time to remove the skin, bone and excess fat, but once complete we ended up with lots of pork. He first made my dad's slow cooker pulled pork. Then we ground a couple pounds.

The last of the meat was used in Slow Cooker Green Chili from Everyday Food's October 2010 issue.
There aren't too many ingredients that go into this recipe, but one key ingredient is Poblano or Anaheim peppers. I guess these two peppers aren't a part of anyone in Niagara's diet because they aren't available here. I had my parents bring me 6 Anaheim peppers from the U.S. at Wegmans in order to make this dinner.

This recipe is positively delicious!  The whole family loved it, even Owen. I truly think this is one of the best recipes I've ever come across for a slow cooker. Everything that goes into this recipe is very inexpensive and lasts two meals (and a couple lunches). I made a side of Cilantro Lime Rice which made this dinner go even further.

The next night the left-over chili is used in Pork and Cabbage Slaw Burritos. Although the recipe doesn't call for it, I added the rest of the Cilantro Lime Rice from the day before. Again, so delicious! I usually dollop tons of sour cream and salsa on burritos because they tend to be a little dry for me, but the cabbage slaw really helped make these perfect! There is just something about cilantro - lime flavour combo that is a real pick-me-up in the middle of winter. Fantastic meal I'll be sure to make again very soon.

No comments: