Thursday, July 21, 2011

cottage treats

Every year at the cottage we get hooked onto something special we wouldn't otherwise indulge. Last year it was fresh fruit cobblers. I can remember previous years snacking on Twizzlers, Rollos, Cherries and Peanuts until my stomach ached.
This year I decided to pull my popsicle molds and hand blender out of storage and pack them for up north. That way Owen would be able to have a healthy cottage treat. There seems to be a renewed interest in ice pops right now and I think it's because of this book Paleteas. But whatever the reason, popsicles are a great way to stay hydrated and cool in a cottage without air conditioning (and I must mention, we are not enduring what everyone in Southern Ontario is dealing with. We are luckily enjoying 29 degree sunny days with a cool breeze blowing into the cottage off the lake.)
I started out making Mango / Pineapple Yogurt Pops. This was a delicious combination.
Then my favourite are these Strawberry / Wild Blueberry Yogurt Pops. The fresh strawberries were picked up at L'Amis Farm Stand and picked from Leisure Farm's berry patch in Sturegon Falls. Of course, the wild blueberry portion of the pop was from our pickings the other day. With all these popsicles I used blitzed fruit with yogurt and layered between fruit blends. You truly don't need anything more!

I don't think anything beats cottage S'mores. We grew up at cottages with campfire S'mores but recently the city's by-laws limit campfires, so that really isn't an option for us anymore. 
Too bad because these Jet-Puffed Marshmallow's are now available in a rectangular, wider and flatter size. Why didn't they think of this sooner?
Well, second best to the real thing is this cottage week discovery I made on sale at Metro. Ritz S'Mores! These are graham crackers shaped like mini Ritz in sandwiches of mashmallow creme and chocolate. Other than their shape there really isn't anything Ritz about them. These are truly addictive beach side snacking!

No comments: