Thursday, October 13, 2011

spinach and prosciutto lasagna

I grew up in a family that always had to travel far to reunite for holidays. We're the lone rangers here in Niagara and for most holidays it is usually easier for us to celebrate on Sunday instead of the designated holiday Monday for Thanksgiving. Since the main food focus was Sunday's Thanksgiving, I never gave much thought to what to have the next day and with all the stores closed. I had to dig deep to come up with Monday night's dinner. Luckily I came across this Spinach and Prosciutto Lasagna from Everyday Food October 2008.
Very often items like mozzarella, ricotta, parmesan and prosciutto go on sale so we always have these ingredients on hand. On a whim I added a layer of Thanksgiving's leftover Cauliflower Gratin (which worked great!). This was a quick assembly in the morning then we spent the rest of the day at the zoo to return home to a finished lasagna. I programed the oven to begin and end baking the lasagna (all the ingredients in this lasagna stand up to sitting out all day). Owen's latest word on an enthusiastic "Lasagna!". It was a total success and I'm inspired to start finding more recipes to take advantage of the programed bake in the oven because nothing is nicer than walk in the door to a finished meal.

No comments: