Friday, December 9, 2011

baked penne with chicken and sun-dried tomatoes

I needed to make it up after the previous night's fail. With the left over chicken I made this Baked Penne with Chicken and Sun-Dried Tomatoes from the March 2009 issue of Everyday Food magazine. 
We make this many times in the fall and winter months because it's just about the most comforting and warming dinners you can imagine. Want to be a dinner hero? Well, this is the dinner that just about anyone will love, children and adults alike. It's not the easiest to make because you must make a roux and if you're not up for a bit of elbow grease, forget it. But it's well worth the effort because it makes several batches which you can freeze. Or, if you're having a large group over, then this meal is enough to go around. I made it once for my parents and this is the one recipe my dad now very often makes. Vegetarians could simply use a mix of mushrooms in place of chicken and it would be outstanding I'm sure. 
A couple revisions I made this time around that I'll probably stick with is to use cremini mushrooms because the flavour is so much better than button mushrooms. And Pennine Rigate, which is a smaller type of penne and works great for a baked pasta.

No comments: