Thursday, January 12, 2012

couscous salad with roasted vegetables & chickpeas

Of all the recipes I wanted to try in Everyday Food Light, I was really looking forward to this Couscous Salad with Roasted Vegetables & Chickpeas. We’re on a real kick with couscous & chickpeas so I thought this combo would be a real winner. The other thing I like is to be able to time-bake food in the oven so that it’s ready when we get home - so this recipe suited us perfectly. Along with a tray of cauliflower and carrots, I also roasted a couple trays of sweet potatoes & red onions so that we could make this Roasted Sweet Potato Salsa again.
Here’s the finished dinner and we weren’t all that impressed. It was OK but I combined concepts from this dinner and the Roasted Sweet Potato Salsa to make the most delicious salad/lunch you can imagine. 
I’ll share this recipe:

2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced small
1 red onion, diced small
2 plum tomatoes, diced small
¼ cup lime juice
Fresh cilantro, small handful, chopped
1 cup cooked coucous
1 can chickpeas, drained, rinsed & cooked till tender
1 avocado, diced small

Spread sweet potatoes & red onion on baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with s&p. Roast at 450 for 20 minutes and cool to room temp.
Mix cooled vegetables with remaining ingredients. Just before serving add avocado and taste for final seasoning.

No comments: