Monday, April 23, 2012

oatmeal raisin cookies

This weekend was jam-packed. After being away from Owen on our vacation I was so ready to get back into the swing of things. Owen's cousin's birthday party was on Saturday and was a great reunion of family. The kids are just too cute and so much fun to be around. Then on Sunday we went to visit my grandmother. She recently had a new and innovative non-invasive heart surgery to replace a valve in her heart. I remembered how much she loved these cookies we brought to our family reunion 2 summers ago, so I decided to bring Oatmeal Raisin Cookies as part as our well wish gifts.
These are my other grandmother's recipe and they are simply the best oatmeal raisin cookies ever baked. I love them! The recipe yields 42, so I froze 3/4 of the monster pile of dough for another occasion. I always slightly under-bake my cookies and let the cool on the pan for at least 10 minutes, that way they always just right.

After our visit we headed to the Ontario Science Centre which is close to her home. I had my initial hesitations about how this attraction could apply to children Owen's age, but there was an entire area devoted to preschool learning and play, so it is just right for children starting 2 and up.
It's very like Owen's day care on a much, much larger scale. 
Lots of stations for lots of different types of learning.
Push the table and smoke rises up.
 Owen was racing around from one experience to the next.
Very cool exhibit where balls roll through a track and set off neat triggers like chimes, springs and bounce on trampolines. Anyone remember that clip from Sesame Street? It was one of my favourites!
 "Owen see things far away"
 His favourite was the blue tunnel.
 Gorilla hands.
There was an area devoted to President's Choice branded grocery store play. It looked like the zombie apocalypse had just happened.
Looks like Owen's not expecting to stick around too long since his last dinner choice was lobster. He's going out with style!
Like most attractions in Toronto it was super busy. I'm glad Owen's in daycare because he was truly unfazed by the hundreds of slight misses and near collisions he has with all the kids around him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We love the Science Centre! When we lived in TO we had a membership. I've even spent the night there on a Girl Guide sleepover!! The ball thing is classic - I think it was there when I was a kid! Glad Owen enjoyed it.. Maryannmaje