Thursday, July 5, 2012

soy-marinated flank steak with shaved beet salad and tomato salad with olives and lemon zest

Welcome to the flavours of summer! Just like what Baked Shells with Winter Squash is to cooler months, this dinner is the epitome of what summer tastes like. Soy-Marinated Flank Steak with Shaved Beet Salad and Tomato Salad with Olives and Lemon Zest (all from July/August 2009 Everyday Food).
This steak is so great, I put it right up against any rib eye I've ever loved and is hands down the best flank steak we've ever had. The marinade is quite similar to teriyaki and tastes restaurant-quality (very similar to the Keg's teriyaki) whipped up with all fridge and pantry staples. Just the right amount of sweet, salty and spicy. And all it will take is one bite of those caramelized edges to convince you of the same. 
Then we enjoyed a Shaved Beet Salad which made use of my amazing OXO mandoline slicer (thanks mom!). Orange and beet are a classic combination I almost can't imagine eating apart. This salad, while being a bit of a pain in the ass, was well worth the dirty work (just cut your losses and use rubber gloves when dealing with beets!). 
And finally the Tomato Salad with Olives and Lemon Zest. I made this quickly as a side using produce we had around. I didn't give this salad much of an expectation, but the combination of tomatoes, olives and lemon together set each other right off. This was great with grocery vine-ripened tomatoes, but I can hardly wait to try it again in August when field & heirloom tomatoes are in season. 
I'm so glad we discovered this meal early in the season because we will without a doubt enjoy all three again throughout the summer. If I was to ever recommend a meal to try this summer - this is the one.

No comments: