Friday, February 1, 2013

just a january pizza night

How lazy is it that I always buy pre-made pizza dough from the grocery store? I think I was under the impression dough needed to proof at least twice, in order for that happen we would have make it on a weekend. The other week I planned on a pizza night but every grocery store only sold frozen dough and I didn't have time to let it defrost. Frustrated, I decided to attempt making it from scratch. Naturally, I consulted Martha's website for guidance and came across Wolfgang Puck's pizza dough recipe. It seemed really fuss-free and simple enough to have Owen get in on the action. He helped add all the ingredients into the mixer and we let the dough hook do all the work. I love, love this technique for pizza dough making the difficult kneading step that much easier. I did turn it out onto a floured work surface just to get the feel for it and let Owen have a little bit of fun as a reward. He thought it was really neat to make pizza crust.


After proofing (wow, the dough increrased in volume!), we formed it into many individual pizzas. We all love different toppings. I had an arugula, tomato and balsamic vinegar pizza. Nuno had a caramelized onion and blue cheese pizza and Owen had a margherita. Here's our final one - The Works.

2 comments:

alicia said...

all of those pizzas sound delicious! maybe i can just hire owen to be my personal chef?

Sarah E. Hoffman said...

That's awesome! Are you going to keep on with the homemade? I love homemade pizza - think of all the childhood memories!