Friday, August 23, 2013

pad see ew

Owen is always pretty decisive when it comes to food and we are getting some pretty regular request these days. Some of which we aren’t too willing to oblige such as chips/snack food for breakfast (thanks to our cottaging Owen discovered a love for Munchies snack mix). Then there are the kinds we want to encourage, like his seemingly constant requests for broccoli. Funny thing is I don’t have many broccoli recipes up my sleeve. One we really enjoy is this pork and broccoli stir-fry and of course, you can toss broccoli into mac & cheese, or enjoy it as a side especially with this ham stuffed chicken (we make this all the time, it's super delish!). As a side I’ve found that taking small florets in a large, covered sautee pan with just about a quarter of a cup of water and steaming until bright green always works like a charm. I’ll often throw in minced garlic and finish with a few drops of sesame oil. They always get gobbled right up.

But I was interested in trying something new entering the school year (yes, Owen’s entering Junior Kindergarten in a week!). So I somehow (have no idea how) discovered this recipe for Pad See Ew. It’s from A Beautiful Mess – I’m now hooked on this blog, these sisters just rock and kinda remind me of me and my sister. What I love about this recipe is how simple it was to prepare using easy to find ingredients. In ingredients & technique it reminds me of the Panang Curry I developed a few years back – it’s not authentic but makes for a great family meal. For ours I used rice stick noodles and added sautéed chicken.

Here’s how to make it:

Easy Pad See Ew, serves three or four
adapted from A Beautiful Mess

Half package Thai rice stick noodles
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
2 bunches of broccoli, florettes cut into bite size pieces
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup oyster sauce
2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
4 teaspoons rice vinegar
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds

Cook noodles according to package instructions (be sure to not overcook – they continue to absorb the sauce once dressed).
Meanwhile, heat 1 tsp sesame oil in large non stick skillet. Season chicken breasts with salt & pepper and sautee. Once cooked remove from pan & set aside. Add remaining sesame oil and add garlic and broccoli. Add a few tablespoons of water to the pan, cover and let steam until broccoli is bright & cooked to your liking. In a small bowl whisk together the soy sauce, oyster sauce, brown sugar, rice vinegar and red pepper flakes if using.
Add chicken and noodles to broccoli in pan and pour the sauce over broccoli, mix to combine and reheat. Serve with a garnish of sesame seeds.

No comments: