Saturday, June 26, 2010

"grindah"

The term 'Grinder' is a regional name for a stuffed to the max submarine sandwich. I love to use this term when eating a huge American sandwich. I first became aware of grinders when I had to work on some ads for sub shops in Maryland. Then a couple years ago Nuno and I were in Boston and Nuno's cousin asked us if we'd ever had a "Grindah". I looked at him and repeated, "Grind-ah?" back to him in the Boston accent. It took a couple back and forths before I realized he was talking about Grinder sandwiches. It was hilarious and embarrassing. Here a photo of my very first Boston Grinder I had with Nuno's cousin.

Yesterday at Wegman's I saw that all the locals were lining up for deli fresh sandwiches in the Take-Out section of the store. I was curious to see what it was all about so I bought a Grinder! Actually, it's really just a turkey ranch variation on the grinder. But man, this is a small, and I could only eat half. But Wegman's sandwiches are fantastic.

It boosted my love for this store ten fold. I'm telling you, if I had known about these grinders when I was pregnant with those sub cravings, I don't know what I would have done. Probably ended up going into labour over there.

No comments: