Wednesday, May 16, 2012

chicken tostada salad

Last Friday night we enjoyed Chicken Tostada Salad from Everyday Food Light. Ever since Cinco De Mayo I've been wanting more Mexican dinners and this one sounded really delicious. But did it ever take a long time to prep!
It seemed like there were a lot of steps involved before the dinner was actually finished. Possibly because I added the extra side of a crema made from sour cream, chili powder, lime juice and scallions. I was OK with this amount of work since it happened upon on a Friday night, a night I usually don't feel pressure to get on with things for the next day. So I was happy to putter on this dinner.
As I was making Owen his portion I ended up using the kitchen scissors to cut up his tortilla. Once his was ready it looked just like nachos, so I told him he was eating chips/nachos. The kid loved it. And really, when you think about it, this really is just a slightly more formal version of nachos. So a kid friendly dinner tag is in order. But it was really super-fresh and light without leaving you feel like you need a snack after dinner.

No comments: