Tuesday, February 4, 2014

healthy oatmeal cookies

Oatmeal raisin cookies are something I gained a taste for in adulthood. As a child I balked at anything 'healthy' for dessert, instead asking for chocolate ice cream and chocolate chip cookies (they had to be manufactured and name brand). Oh how times have changed. I have 2 go-to recipes for oatmeal cookies, both are different in really nice ways. One is crispy and the other is soft and tender... just depends on my mood which one I go to. I was flipping through Everyday Food Light, a book that I haven't examined to try new recipes for in quite some time, I saw a recipe for Healthy Oatmeal Cookies and I felt like it was perfect as a snack for Owen to take to school. I'm a little more interested in baking these days because breastfeeding allows some extra calorie consumption, so why not use those extras on desserts?

Using vegetable oil in place of butter was an element I felt might comprimise flavour, but the benefit of not having to cream butter and sugar meant these cookies were super fast to prep compared to most. The rest of the ingredients were the usual suspects when it comes to oatmeal raisin cookies. I was surprised there weren't any swaps, such as honey in place of some of the sugar or more whole wheat flour in place of white. But after making them I wouldn't change a thing. They are most delicious right out of the oven because as they cool they get crispy and crumbly, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. The flavour is quite nice but not over and above my two favourite recipes. But when it comes to healthy swap-outs, this one is a recipe I'll go to again for sure.

No comments: