Thursday, April 11, 2013

chicken, spinach and potato hash

Well, who doesn't love some good hash? Yes, well, I've only had one experience trying hash, at a diner, in a time long since forgotten. So I figured now's a great time to give it another go and turn our son onto it as well.
OK, enough innuendo, I'm sure it's not even funny. Nuno and I have never touched any illicit substances in our lives. Kinda like tattoos, which we both do not have. How did we ever make it through art school, right? Well, this blog is proof enough of how truly square we are.


Yes, the recipe... Chicken, Spinach and Potato Hash from Everyday Food Light. I think we all associate hash with corned beef and potatoes for breakfast, but I do love my breakfast foods for dinner and this recipe is seamless taking AM to PM. We started by roasted bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts. Along with 2 shallots, I also tossed in half a white onion I had on hand and I'm glad I did because the onion and garlic is what builds flavour in this dish. Although the recipe called for Yukon gold potatoes, we couldn't find them so we opted for yellow potatoes instead. These worked fantastic because they didn't need to be peeled (thin skin) and retained their shape after being cooked and then sauteed. I was pretty impressed these potatoes withstood my constant flipping and turning. Final addition of spinach and a final taste for seasoning and dinner is served!

This is one of the most kid-friendly dinners. I didn't give it much thought till I saw Owen hardly stopping for a breath between bites. And it makes sense, it's soft, comforting, warming and familiar. Super easy to eat and tasty to boot. This was a real winner and it leaves me wanting to make it again, but with corned beef.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Erin! (it's Krysta, the crazy St. Catharines pug event organizer)

Looks like a great recipe, and I think I will have to try this. I agree, corned beef would make it soo yummy.

Great blog BTW. I came across it when searching my pugalug event on the internet.

Erin said...

Ah Krysta, I remember you! We're going to try to make it out to the Spring Fling this year.